CPLUG Newsletter, Spooky Edition 👻 for week 666
Happy Week 6! Give yourself a pat on the back, you've made it halfway through the quarter!
FYM on Sunday!
We will be hosting an FYM (Free Your Machine) next Sunday (2021 🎃🎃🎃 October 31 🎃🎃🎃) from 11 am - 3 pm in room 197-204 (Bonderson, Sec Lab)! Just like last week, we will have free pizza. Feel free to come in a costume! Or don't, your choice.
We host these meetings regularly, and you're not obligated to stay for the whole time. We can help with anything Linux-related, ranging from basic UNIX/Linux help, including the UNIX servers and VPN access, to setting up your Linux environment up in a virtual machine or dual boot. We'll even help with any CPE 357 woes you have!
If you have any other questions about the club or Linux, feel free to come and talk to other members of the club. Hope to see you all there!
Recap of FYM on 10/24
- Once again, we had pizza! Some people also enjoyed Costco smoothies.
- We decided we should make merch. Details on that to come.
- Some of the things people did:
- Perform boot partition surgery on a laptop
- Set up HTTPS certificates for web servers
- We also discussed how we synchronize our configurations and dotfiles.
- Everyone who does this stores their stuff in Git.
- Some use scripts to install all the necessary things.
- We discussed how we might synchronize larger non-configuration files, like videos, pictures, etc.
- Google Drive is the obvious answer, but there's no official Linux client.
- Syncthing and Samba were discussed as well. No one uses those... yet.
Upcoming Tech Talk(s)
- Why use NixOS? - Astrid Yu, date TBD
For a list of our previous talks, see https://cplug.org/tag/technical-talks/. If you would like to give a technical talk, please send us an email ([email protected]), or message one of the officers via Discord or Slack!